Re: splitting htup.h

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: splitting htup.h
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> This patch splits htup.h in two pieces -- the first one (tupbasics.h;
> not wedded to the name) does not include many other headers and is just
> enough to have other parts of the code create tuples and pass them
> around, to be used by most other headers.  The other one (which keeps
> the name htup.h) contains internal tuple stuff (struct declarations
> etc).

> Before patch, htup.h is directly or indirectly included by 364 .c files
> in src/backend; after patch, that's reduced to 299 files (that's 65
> files less to compile if you modify the header).

That's kind of a disappointing result --- if we're going to split htup.h
into public and private parts, I would have hoped for a much smaller
inclusion footprint for the private part.  Maybe you could adjust the
boundary between public and private parts a bit more?  If we can't cut
the footprint I'm inclined to think this isn't worth the code churn.

(Or perhaps I'm missing the point.  Do you have a reason for doing this
other than cutting the inclusion footprint?)