Bug report for Postgresql 8.0-beta1 for WINDOWS.

От Sergey Ushakov
Тема Bug report for Postgresql 8.0-beta1 for WINDOWS.
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Hello pgsql-bugs,

  The bug description is as follows:
  Then server with running postmaster unexpectedly shut down, server
  cannot be started next time.
  I've found that manual starting of that service also unsuccessful.
  I investigated the bug, and found that the .pid file exists at
  PGDATA folder. So I decided to delete that file, and try to start
  service. It works!
  Probably pg_ctl looks for .pid file, and if it exists it supposes
  that the service is already started. In fact it's wrong.

  How to repeat the bug:
  1. Stop service
  2. Create postmaster.pid at PGDATA
  3. Try to start service. It will refuse.

  Suggested solution: Change service detection logic. May be not just
  looking for the pid file, but parsing it and finding the service
  process itself and testing it for existance.

  Sorry if it is already fixed in new version.

--
Best regards,
 Sergey                          mailto:sergey@verify.kg