Re: could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted

On 13 Mar 2024, at 12:35, Stephen Frost wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> * Nick Renders (postgres@arcict.com) wrote:
>>> ...run them under different users on the system.
>>
>> Are you referring to the "postgres" user / role? Does that also mean setting up 2 postgres installation directories?
>
> Yes, two separate MacOS user accounts is what I was suggesting.  You
> could use the same postgres binaries though, no need to have two
> installation of them.  You'd need seperate data directories, of course,
> as you have currently.
>
>> This script runs on a daily basis at 4:30 AM. It did so this morning and there was no issue with cluster B. So even
thoughthe issue is most likely related to the script, it does not cause it every time.

> Seems likely that it's some sort of race condition.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen

We now have a second machine with this issue: it is an Intel Mac mini running macOS Sonoma (14.4) and PostgreSQL 16.2.
This one only has a single Data directory, so there are no multiple instances running.

I installed Postgres yesterday and restored a copy from our live database in the Data directory. The Postgres process
startedup without problems, but after 40 minutes it started throwing the same errors in the log:

    2024-03-21 11:49:27.410 CET [1655] FATAL:  could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted
    2024-03-21 11:49:46.955 CET [1760] FATAL:  could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": Operation not permitted
    2024-03-21 11:50:07.398 CET [965] LOG:  could not open file "postmaster.pid": Operation not permitted; continuing
anyway

I stopped and started the process, and it continued working again until around 21:20, when the issue popped up again. I
wasn'tdoing anything on the machine at that time, so I have no idea what might have triggered it.

Is there perhaps some feature that I can enable that logs which processes use these 2 files?

Thanks,

Nick Renders