Re: Proposed p.tch for error locations

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Proposed p.tch for error locations
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
> This doesn't work on terminal using a variable-width font, does it?
> Sure, you can have all the interfaces use a monospace font, but it seems
> a weird thing to do.  I think the line/character position should be
> returned in a separate error attribute in ereport.  So for example
> pgAdmin could count characters and mark it in bold or use a different
> color.

That information is already available to pgAdmin, and has been since
7.4; if they are failing to exploit it that's their problem not libpq's.

Basically what's at stake here is the behavior of "dumb" applications
that are just using PQerrorMessage and not doing anything smart with
error message fields.  It does not seem unreasonable to me to assume
fixed-width font in that context.  We haven't seen any complaints about
psql doing it have we?