Re: To Postgres or not

От Bob
Тема Re: To Postgres or not
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Even though PostgreSQL is more like an Oracle which is a good thing. It's like Oracle in function not in cost and adminstration. PostgreSQL not only fits into the enterprice really well it also fits in the mom and pop shops(dentist office,corner store, you name it that may not have any IT folks.  So you get lots of the Oracle like bell and whistles while not having the Oracle weight(admin,cost,complexity,etc) that only a larger company can hold. Oracle claims to have a small business version of the 10g database. But the docs say it's for small to mid sized "enterprises" not Joe Blow on the corner shop or even Joe Blow and his 100 employees selling widgets from their basement.

So my opinion in 99% of cases is why not use PostgreSQL over MySQL and in many cases why not use PostgreSQL over Oracle.  What does MySQL really offer you?  Go ahead and tell me it can query faster with one user logged in much faster. If that is the case use flat files why waste your time on a relational database. Anyways I could go on and on, I'll stop now and leave it at this.  PostgreSQL is great piece of software that we should all be great full is out there for us to use!

PostgreSQL has in a nutshell:
Great documentation
Great community
Great features
Great cost(free)

On 7/13/05, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 05:16:44PM +0000, Ted Slate wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I considering moving a product to Solaris/Linux and trying to find a
> good DB.  Oracle is out due to cost so as far as i know the only
> reasonable alternatives are Postgres or Codebase or MySQL.  Does
> anyone here have any experience using Codebase or MySql?  If I stick
> with a true RDBMS then Codebase is out.  So that leaves Postgres and
> MySQL.  I'm very used to all the comforts of Oracle so I think
> Postgres stacks up better but maybe some veterans could shed some
> light.

PostgreSQL is more like an Oracle, DB2, MS-SQL Server, etc. than it is
like a MySQL or a BerkeleyDB.  If your app is more Oraclish than
BerkeleyDBish, PostgreSQL is very likely your choice.

> In other words, is Postgres really that much better than MySQL
> and/or the other way around?

Here's my experience.  With PostgreSQL, when you reach for a new
capability, it's usually right there, or at worst it's easy to
construct.  With MySQL, you're constantly running into barriers and
having to kludge around them.

> Also, in my searches I ran across an company called EnterpriseDB and
> another like it.  Basically they offer Postgres support.  So I'm a
> little concerned that I'm just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Many kinds of support are available, and some of the best is free.
This mailing list, for example, is excellent, and people on Core
monitor it.  <irc://irc.freenode.net/postgresql > is good, too.  There
are also paid support options, as you've mentioned.

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!