Re: PL/pgSQL Debugger Support

От Bob
Тема Re: PL/pgSQL Debugger Support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
My understanding is that EMS Hitech is just doing client side debugging.

That is they are taking your function and creating a new process to follow the flow of the program. So if they mess up something you may thing your  program is doing one thing when it is really doing something else. Maybe I'm wrong here but I assume that is what is going on.  While this is better than nothing, it doesn't compare to a built in API in pl/pgsql that would allow any tool to hook into a function and debug.  Would love to work on this if I had the low level programming skills that the main hackers have.

On 6/23/05, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
Denis, all,

> I got to thinking it¹d be kewl if PgAdmin3 supported an interactive
> debugger for pl/pgsql. If anyone¹s interested in expertly tackling such a
> community project, with some financial sponsorship from EDB, please contact
> me privately.

Just FYI, EMS Hitech has a windows-only PL/pgSQL debugger.  So it's apparently
possible even with the current tech.

Overally, though, we'd want to support something command-line like the Perl
debug shell.  Then any tool could use it.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions