Re: allow to \dtS+ pg_toast.*

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: allow to \dtS+ pg_toast.*
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2020-12-18 at 11:33 -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> > I wonder why the modification in "listPartitionedTables" is necessary.
> > Surely there cannot be any partitioned toast tables, can there?
>
> The comment should be removed for consistency.
> And I changed the code for consistency with listTables (from which I assume
> listPartitionedTables was derived - I was involved in the last stages of that
> patch).  It doesn't need to exclude pg_catalog or information_schema, either,
> but it's kept the same for consistency.  That part could also be removed.

I don't think that consistency with "listTables" is particularly useful here,
but I think this is somewhat academic.

I'll leave that for the committer to decide.

> I agree that it's nice to complete the schema name, but I'm still not convinced
> this part should be included.
>
> The way to include pg_toast.pg_toast is if toast relations are included, which
> is exactly what Tom pointed out is usually unhelpful.  If you include toast
> relations, tab completion might give "pg_toast.pg_toast_14..." when you wanted
> to paste "145678" - you'd need to remove the common suffix that it found.

Again a judgement call.  I am happy with the way the latest patch does it.

> I considered whether "toast table" should be capitalized (as it is for "\d")
> but I think it should stay lowercase.

Then you should also change the way \d does it (upper case).
I think we should be consistent.

I'd use TOAST for both to create no unnecessary change in \d output.

Anyway, I think that this is ready for committer and will mark it as such.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe