UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x

От Dawid Kuroczko
Тема UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x
Дата
Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello.

I am currently playing with UUID data type and try to use it to store provided
by third party (Hewlett-Packard) application.  The problem is they
format UUIDs as
0000-0000-0000-0000-0000-0000-0000-0000, so I have to
replace(text,'-','')::uuid for
this kind of data.

Nooow, the case is quite simple and it might be that there are other
applications
formatting UUIDs too liberally.

I am working on a patch to support this format (yes, it is a simple
modification).

And in the meanwhile I would like to ask you what do you think about it?

Cons: Such format is not standard.

Pros: This will help UUID data type adoption. [1]  While good
applications format
their data well, there are others which don't follow standards.  Also
I think it is
easier for a human being to enter UUID as 8 times 4 digits.

Your thoughts?  Should I submit a patch?
  Regards,    Dawid

[1]: My first thought when I received the error message was "hey! this
is not an UUID,
it is too long/too short!", only later did I check that they just
don't format it too well.