Re: why not kill -9 postmaster

От Dawid Kuroczko
Тема Re: why not kill -9 postmaster
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/20/06, Shane Ambler <pgsql@007marketing.com> wrote:
>> After all, that's what a system crash is, right?
>
> A system crash is safer in that it won't leave orphaned child
> processes or IPC/synchronization resources around, making it more
> comparable to a SIGQUIT than a SIGKILL.

The one thing worse than kill -9 the postmaster is pulling the power
cord out of the server. Which is what makes UPS's so good.

Well, I think that pulling the power cord is much safer than killing -9
the postmaster.  If you pull the plug, then during bootup postgresql
will just replay every COMMITed transaction, so there won't be any
dataloss or downtime.

If you kill -9 postmaster... well, it's messy. ;-)))  I feel safer when
everything goes down at the same time. ;)

If your server is changing the data file on disk and you pull the power
cord, what chance do you expect of reading that data file again?

With PostgreSQL? I expect to read all commited transactions. And
those not commited... well, they weren't commited in the first place,
so I won't see them anyway.

This is all in assumption that you are running your DB with fsync on,
on a reliable filesystem, and your hardware doesn't lie to you about
fsyncing data (and it's best if you have a battery for controller's cache).

Regards,
   Dawid