Re: Secure connections with changing ip addresses?

От Dawid Kuroczko
Тема Re: Secure connections with changing ip addresses?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 7/29/06, gene Campbell <genecampbell8@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a pg_hba.conf file that is setup like this
>
> host    db1 user1     222.152.155.194/32            md5
>
>  From time to time, my ISP changes my ip address on me.
> At that point, my connection to this DB is denied.
>
> I have to log in (ssh) to my server, edit this file with the new ip
> address, save and restart to get connectivity back.
>
> Is there a way to have a secure connection that can withstand
> changing ip addresses?

I think the best solution for you would be some form of VPN,
perhaps IPsec, or vtund (if you're using *nix).

Generally, when you change your IP, you will lose the connection.
And you also have to tell that machine that you changed the IP,
either manually (ssh to server, as you wrote) or automagically
(using the script which will ssh, change the file, signal the DB).

If you set a VPN, you will always have the same IP address, say
192.168.111.111, no matter what your ISP has selected for you now,
and connections to that address can persist your IP changes
(depends how VPN is set up, but it's doable).

   Regards,
       Dawid