Re: background triggers?

От Dawid Kuroczko
Тема Re: background triggers?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 5/25/06, Rafal Pietrak <rafal@zorro.isa-geek.com> wrote:
> I'd like to propose a 'syntax/semantics' of such trigger:
>
> Triggers normally execute inside of a transaction.
>
> A COMMIT within a trigger could mean: "do a fork: fork-1) return to the
> main and schedule COMMIT there, fork-2) continue in bacground".

I don't think fork(2)ing a running backed is a good idea, probably it would
end up with major data corruption.  You want to call fork(2) in your
application. Something like: "if (fork()==0) { reestablish connection, issue
trigger-code on the database } else  { gracefully return };"

> >From the perspective of my earlier applications, it would be desired to
> have an argument for such COMMIT - a label, which is a *global* database
> object (may be just a semaphore), and is:
> 1) Assuming semaphore implementation - semaphore should be tested and
> fail if already asserted, NOT tesed an block. FORK should be initiated
> only if semaphore test succeeds.
> 2) the execution of procedure within fork-2 (meaning, after semaphore
> assertion succeeds) should be posponed until caller actually COMMITS.
> 3) On EXIT, fork-2 deasserts semaphore.
> 4) in the simplest case, the semaphore can be defined on the trigger
> function name itself, and consequently, the 'label' for the COMMIT
> wouldn't be necesary?

Hmm, I've got a feeling its something like "I don't feel like coding it in
application, so it would be better if community changed the backend
to do it". :) However what you propose i 1,2,3,4 points is somewhat
similar to already existing 2PC (2-phase commit), which PostgreSQL
implements. Probably not what you want, but should be valuable to
know, I guess.

And as for COMMIT; within function...  Not possible, not without
breaking awful lot of things.  Think about a tranasction as:
BEGIN;
  -- commands, like INSERTs, ended with commit;
  -- user given triggers fired after user issued COMMIT;
  -- Referential Integrity triggers and what not
COMMIT; -- actual commit performed by DB.

If your trigger would call COMMIT, the referential integrity triggers would
not have anything to do -- the commit would be already done.  No referential
integrity, you might as well use MyISAM then. ;)

So... let's assume the "commit" whould not actually commit, but rather
start another backend and do the work [1].  The problem is that newly
started backed would not see the work until the old backend actually
COMMIT;

The idea of commit within a procedure might be interesting, but from
the perspective of very-long-runing queries which update whole a lot
of rows, but that's another issue.

   Regards,
       Dawid

[1]: If you really insist on doing it this way, of course you may!  Here is
a fishing rod:
write a trigger in PL/perlU, which will fork();  The newly started child will
use DBI to connect to database, and issue your query, and then call
exit(0) to be sure you don't return to backend.  You might want to call
exec() with a pre-prepared script doing above work.

From the perspective of the "main" backend, the trigger will call fork(),
and finish.  And your application will commit.

That's everything you need to do it the way you want it.  Have fun!