Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1

От Dawid Kuroczko
Тема Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/2/05, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
> What we can do in PostgreSQL is to introduce an application-level
> heartbeat. A simple "Hello world" message sent from server to client that
> the client would ignore would do the trick.

Hmm, a quick-and-dirty implementation could be that a client issues
"LISTEN heartbeat;" command, and there would be other client issuing
"NOTIFY heartbeat;" every few minutes.  I am not sure but this would
probably make server send out these messages to the client, regardless
of whether the client is doing something or not.  Again, I am not sure.
Ah, and probably so many NOTIFY messages wouldn't be very nice for
system tables.
  Regards,       Dawid