ext3 journalling type

От Dawid Kuroczko
Тема ext3 journalling type
Дата
Re: ext3 journalling type  ("Matt Clark" <matt@ymogen.net>)
Re: ext3 journalling type  (Mark Wong <markw@osdl.org>)
Список pgsql-performance
The ext3fs allows to selet type of journalling to be used with
filesystem.  Journalling pretty much "mirrors" the work of WAL
logging by PostgreSQL...  I wonder which type of journalling
is best for PgSQL in terms of performance.
Choices include:
              journal
                     All data is committed into the  journal  prior  to  being
                     written into the main file system.
              ordered
                     This  is  the  default mode.  All data is forced directly
                     out to the main file system prior to its  metadata  being
                     committed to the journal.
              writeback
                     Data ordering is not preserved - data may be written into
                     the main file system after its metadata has been  commit-
                     ted  to the journal.  This is rumoured to be the highest-
                     throughput option.  It guarantees  internal  file  system
                     integrity,  however  it  can  allow old data to appear in
                     files after a crash and journal recovery.

Am I right to assume that "writeback" is both fastest and at the same
time as safe to use as ordered?  Maybe any of you did some benchmarks?

Regards,
     Dawid