two issues with pgadmin3-1.20.0

От Denys Rtveliashvili
Тема two issues with pgadmin3-1.20.0
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hello,

After experiencing random crashes of some GUI applications on Linux Mint 17.1, and in particular pgAdmin3 (supplied version is 1.18.1) I have tried to check out a more recent source of pgAdmin3 and give it a try.

The result is two issues were discovered. One of them is probably trivial (although I am too bad at understanding how "make" works to figure it out) and another one is really weird.

This is what I have done:
1. downloaded sources of pgadmin3-1.20.0
2. configured them like this:
./configure --enable-debug --program-prefix=/usr/local/ --with-openssl --with-libz --enable-databasedesigner
3. built them by running "make"
4. tried to install the program by running "sudo make install"
5. launched the program like this:
./pgadmin/pgadmin3
and tried to do some basic things

Observations:

1. Installation failed:

make[3]: Entering directory `/home/rtvd/src/ALIEN/pgadmin3-1.20.0/pgadmin'
../pgadmin/ver_svn.sh
 /bin/mkdir -p '/usr/local/pgadmin3/bin'
  /usr/bin/install -c pgadmin3 '/usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/.//usr/local/pgadmin3'
/usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file ‘/usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/.//usr/local/pgadmin3’: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [install-binPROGRAMS] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/rtvd/src/ALIEN/pgadmin3-1.20.0/pgadmin'

It seems that instead of installing "pgadmin3" into "/usr/local/pgadmin3/bin" it has told "install" to do something with '/usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/.//usr/local/pgadmin3', which obviously does not make sense.

2. The program crashes when opening properties of tables and other things. Also it crashes when I am trying to add a table to a diagram in the database designer.

Luckily I can see a stack traces. However, it looks strange as the code seems to be perfectly fine.

There are two stacktraces. Both point to a identical lines in two different files:
- line 36 in pgadmin/dd/dditems/utilities/ddTableNameDialog.cpp
- line 118 in pgadmin/dlg/dlgProperty.cpp

Both lines are "SetFont(settings->GetSystemFont());". And in both cases the failed assertion is "../src/gtk/window.cpp(4164): assert "m_widget != __null" failed in SetFont(): invalid window"

I do not see anything wrong with the code. The "SetFont" function is called when I think the window is already constructed. So surely m_widget should be != NULL.
Also, if I comment out these lines then pgAdmin3 works flawlessly.

I suspect it may be a bug in libwxgtk2.8-0. Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to download the specific source LinuxMint 17.1 is using. And the source of libwxgtk2.8-0 downloaded from the website of wxWidgets clearly does not match as there is no assertion on line 4164 there.

In any case I am informing you about this as you may have a much better idea of what this issue really is. For now I am going to run a modified code with those lines commented out.

With kind regards,
Denys Rtveliashvili

P.S. Thank you for writing pgAdmin3. It helps a lot.