Re: Newbie questions, diff between functions and

От novnov
Тема Re: Newbie questions, diff between functions and
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
I am still very confused by pgsql's approach to functions vs procedures.

In my testing using pgAdmin III, if I create both In and Out args it's
listed as a proc. If I add only a In or only an Out, both are listed as
functions and the args are 'gone'. Does that make sense?

I am puzzled by the fact that I don't find many references to 'stored
procedures' in the pgsql docs. One of the oft heard reasons to chose pgsql
over mysql is the supposed presence of stored procedures.

The kind of use I have for stored procedures is to pass in a couple params,
use them in an append or update query, possibly call other procedures, and
return some value (success etc).

Thomas wrote that the IN OUT INOUT arg stuff is as of 8.1, that's the
current stable version of pgsql...but pgsql has supposedly had stored
procedures for a long time. It ends up being very confusing to a newbie.

Thanks