Re: hstores in pl/python

От Florian Pflug
Тема Re: hstores in pl/python
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Dec15, 2010, at 16:34 , Jan Urbański wrote:
> On 15/12/10 16:25, Dmitriy Igrishin wrote:
>> 2010/12/15 Jan Urbański <wulczer@wulczer.org>
>>> So how about just adding a text column to pg_type and a IDENTIFIER
>>> keywork to CREATE TYPE. It's not guaranteed to be unique, but isn't it
>>> pushing the argument to the extreme? Someone can change around bool and
>>> text type oids, too... And then hstore_plpython looks up the well-known
>>> identifier, sets up a RVV with the OID and everyone's happy.
>>>
>> How IDENTIFIER differs from name ? org.postgresql.hstore vs hstore ?
>
> Hm, now that I think of it, the only real difference is that you don't
> use search_path to look it up. So public.hstore is just as good an
> identifier...

Not if CREATE EXTENSION allows you install hstore into an arbitrary schema.
For pl/python's purposes, requiring the DBA to set plpython_hstore_type
accordingly might work, but clients need to be able to reliably find hstore
too. For them, having to specify the schema of every non-core type your
database adapter might support isn't exactly ideal...

best regards,
Florian Pflug