Re: [GENERAL] [OT] Help: stories of database security and privacy

От vinny
Тема Re: [GENERAL] [OT] Help: stories of database security and privacy
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2017-04-12 09:09, Lifepillar wrote:
> Hi folks,
> in a few weeks I will start a short course on the basics of database
> security for a group of high-school students with a background in
> elementary relational theory and SQL. I plan to discuss the usage of
> grant/revoke, RBAC, DAC, and inference in statistical databases.
>
> I'd like to take the opportunity to also engage students about the
> topic
> of privacy (or lack thereof). So, I am here to ask if you have
> interesting/(in)famous stories to share on database security/privacy
> "gone wrong" or "done right"(tm), possibly with technical details (not
> necessarily to share with the students, but for me to understand the
> problems). I am asking to this list because I will use PostgreSQL, so
> maybe I can collect ideas that I can implement or demonstrate in
> practice, or use as case studies.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Life.

One case that I remember from an ancient version of the book "hacking
exposed"
was about a MySQL server that was running under the root user. A badly
written
application allowed some SQL injection that let a hacker issue a SELECT
INTO OUTFILE
query that "selected" a bash script into the .login file of the root
user,
and the next time the root user logged in, the script would create a new
superuser account
for the hacker.

I remember this particular example mainly because of the way that people
I told it to reacted;
some were of the opinion that the application was at fault for allowing
injection,
some thought the DBA was to blame for running as root,
but the vast majority did not know that MySQL could write files, let
alone overwrite system files.

Their responses really made it clear that hackers generally know a lot
more about
how a setup works than it's maintainer does. Just because you cannot
think of a way that a right can be exploited

Ever since then I live by the motto; "If it's not absolutely required to
be possible,
then it should be made absolutely impossible.".

As for privacy, the same applies; if a website doesn't have to print the
real lastname of a user,
then the JSON API should not send that to the client. In fact, the API
should refuse to send it, even when asked,
unless the user who's asking has rights to do so. Again; denied unless
specifically allowed.