Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2

От Masahiro Ikeda
Тема Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers, take 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2020-07-17 15:55, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 at 11:06, Masahiro Ikeda
>> <ikedamsh(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
>> wrote:

>>> Thanks! I didn't noticed the behavior when a user executes PREPARE
>>> TRANSACTION is same.
>>>
>>> IIUC with 2PC, there is a different point between (1)PREPARE
>>> TRANSACTION
>>> and (2)2PC.
>>> The point is that whether the client can know when the server crashed
>>> and it's global tx id.
>>>
>>> If (1)PREPARE TRANSACTION is failed, it's ok the client execute same
>>> command
>>> because if the remote server is already prepared the command will be
>>> ignored.
>>>
>>> But, if (2)2PC is failed with coordinator crash, the client can't
>>> know
>>> what operations should be done.
>>>
>>> If the old coordinator already executed PREPARED, there are some
>>> transaction which should be ABORT PREPARED.
>>> But if the PREPARED WAL is not sent to the standby, the new
>>> coordinator
>>> can't execute ABORT PREPARED.
>>> And the client can't know which remote servers have PREPARED
>>> transactions which should be ABORTED either.
>>>
>>> Even if the client can know that, only the old coordinator knows its
>>> global transaction id.
>>> Only the database administrator can analyze the old coordinator's log
>>> and then execute the appropriate commands manually, right?
>>
>> I think that's right. In the case of the coordinator crash, the user
>> can look orphaned foreign prepared transactions by checking the
>> 'identifier' column of pg_foreign_xacts on the new standby server and
>> the prepared transactions on the remote servers.
>>
> I think there is a case we can't check orphaned foreign
> prepared transaction in pg_foreign_xacts view on the new standby
> server.
> It confuses users and database administrators.
>
> If the primary coordinator crashes after preparing foreign transaction,
> but before sending XLOG_FDWXACT_INSERT records to the standby server,
> the standby server can't restore their transaction status and
> pg_foreign_xacts view doesn't show the prepared foreign transactions.
>
> To send XLOG_FDWXACT_INSERT records asynchronously leads this problem.

If the primary replicates XLOG_FDWXACT_INSERT to the standby
asynchronously,
some prepared transaction may be unsolved forever.

Since I think to solve this inconsistency manually is hard operation,
we need to support synchronous XLOG_FDWXACT_INSERT replication.

I understood that there are a lot of impact to the performance,
but users can control the consistency/durability vs performance
with synchronous_commit parameter.

What do you think?

> Thank you for letting me know. I've attached the latest version patch
> set.

Thanks for updating.
But, the latest patches failed to be applied to the master branch.

Regards,
--
Masahiro Ikeda
NTT DATA CORPORATION