Re: proposal: change behavior on collation version mismatch

От Daniel Verite
Тема Re: proposal: change behavior on collation version mismatch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
    Jeremy Schneider wrote:

> 1) "collation changes are uncommon" (which is relatively correct)
> 2) "most users would rather have ease-of-use than 100% safety, since
> it's uncommon"
>
> And I think this led to the current behavior of issuing a warning rather
> than an error,

There's a technical reason for this being a warning.
If it was an error, any attempt to do anything with the collation
would fail, which includes REINDEX on indexes  using
that collation.
And yet that's precisely what you're supposed to do in that
situation.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité