Fwd: convert(USING utf8_to_iso_8859_15) on Windows

От Pierre Thibaudeau
Тема Fwd: convert(USING utf8_to_iso_8859_15) on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks, Tom, for the comment.  (Sorry for emailing directly to you:
pressed "send" too quickly!)

Although that raises further questions:

* Is there a text that documents all that is known about the encoding
issues between PostgreSQL and Windows?  Surely, this is likely to be a
"fairly" widespread issue!  So far, everything I've read had to do
with mysterious bad omens with never specific statements about what's
what, and what can (or cannot) be done to solve the situation
satisfactorily...

* Windows XP does support UTF8, yet it is not possible (as far as I
know) to define one's locale to have anything to do with UTF8
(presumably in the sense that UTF8 isn't an aspect of a specific
locale):  there is no en_US.UTF8 or fr_CA.UTF8 locales, for instance.
But why should this matter?  Say I am entering the data through a
piece of software that works with UTF8, via the ODBC driver.  Say
again that I output the data with another software that expects UTF8,
via the JDBC driver.  Why does it matter that my system should be
localized in another encoding?