Re: Return unknown resultset from a function

От David Johnston
Тема Re: Return unknown resultset from a function
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Mar 4, 2012, at 14:52, Jan Meyland Andersen <jma@agile.dk> wrote:

> How do I return an unknown resultset from a function
>
> My main problem is that I do not know how many columns or the data type of the columns before runtime.
> It this possible at all?
>
> I also tried to return the data as a text array but I also have trouble with that.
>
> Regards
>
> Jan

Try HSTORE.

You can return RECORD from the function but the SQL user still has to define the names/types at design time.

Text array should work but you lose column names which HSTORE maintains.

You could also return a delimited string and then split it in the calling routine.

David J