Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?

От Brent Wood
Тема Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?
Дата
Re: Does PostgreSQL check database integrity at startup?  (Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter <richter@simkorp.com.br>)
Список pgsql-general
Some thoughts....

A tool to calculate a checksum of sorts based on the table (file) content would provide a better surety of duplication than simply checking file size - like differently vacuumed tables in each copy could have the same content but be different file sizes.

Something like these could be adapted to compare database content by filesystem checks rather than db queries. Following tablespaces, etc as well.

or other similar tools

Yes, there is some overhead, especially for large databases but it would be worth that to robustly ensure genuine and complete duplication.

I do wonder though - given the order of records in a table (file) is not necessarily identical (or is it?) event this may be problematic. Perhaps a checksum based on the result of a query output ordered by primary key could work?

Brent Wood