Re: Query causing explosion of temp space with join involving partitioning

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Query causing explosion of temp space with join involving partitioning
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Krzysztof Nienartowicz <krzysztof.nienartowicz.cern@gmail.com> writes:
> surveys-> SELECT  t1.SURVEY_PK, t1.SOURCE_PK, t1.TSTYPE,  t1.VALS
> surveys->   FROM sources t0 ,TS t1 where
> surveys->   (t0.SURVEYID = 16 AND t0.SRCID >= 203510110032281 AND
> t0.SRCID <= 203520107001677 and t0.SURVEYID = t1.SURVEY_PK AND t0.SRCID =
> t1.SOURCE_PK ) ORDER BY t0.SURVEYID ASC, t0.SRCID ASC

We don't make any attempt to infer derived inequality conditions,
so no, those constraints on t0.srcid won't be propagated over to
t1.source_pk.  Sorry.  It's been suggested before, but it would be
a lot of new mechanism and expense in the planner, and for most
queries it'd just slow things down to try to do that.

> I have around 30 clients running the same query with different
> parameters, but the query always returns 1000 rows (boundary values
> are pre-calculated,so it's like traversal of the equiwidth histogram
> if it comes to srcid/source_pk) and the rows from parallel queries
> cannot be overlapping. Usually query returns within around a second.
> I noticed however there are some queries that hang for many hours and
> what is most curious some of them created several GB of temp files.

Can you show us the query plan for the slow cases?