Re: Very slow searching in a table with more than 10 millions recovered records from a backup file...

От zxo102 ouyang
Тема Re: Very slow searching in a table with more than 10 millions recovered records from a backup file...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Grzegorz,

Thank you very much. I will do that.
I have another question: if I do the following steps, does it "hurt" pgsql?
 step 1. stop the pgsql in the old version of the application; the whole application is installed in c:/xbop and pgsql is located in c:/xbop/pgsql;
 step 2. rename c:/xbop to c:/xbop_old;
 step 3. install the new version in c:/xbop
 step 4. copy the pgsql in c:/xbop_old/pgsql into c:/xbop

Since pgsql's backup and restore will take hours for the big table, if the above steps will not hurt the performance of pgsql, that might be a good way for me.

Any suggestions.

ouyang

2009/6/12 Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman@gmail.com>
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 9:56 AM, zxo102 ouyang<zxo102@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>     I have an application with a database (pgsql) which has a big table (>
> 10 millions records) in windows 2003. Some times, I need to install the new
> version of the application.  Here is what I did: 1. back up the big table
> via pgadmin III, 2. stop the pgsql in the old version of the application,
> 3. install the new version of the application (pgsql is included and all
> tables keep  same like before) and 4. recovering the data(> 10 millions
> records) into the table from the backup file.
>    After I restart the application, searching the table becomes very very
> slow (much slower than the searching in the old version). I don't know what
> is wrong with it. pgsql needs time to "reindexing" those 10 millions records
> for the searching?

This is because you missed vacuum analyze in those steps, that should
be done right after restore.

--
GJ