Sort with ORDER BY gives wrong results with german Umlaut charact ers

От Stumbaum, Rainer
Тема Sort with ORDER BY gives wrong results with german Umlaut charact ers
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hi,

when I do a select with ORDER BY I get a wrongly sorted list back.
Here my systems details:

SuSE Linux 7.3
PostgreSQL 7.1.3
contains readline, history, multibyte support

Following configuration:
initdb -E UNICODE
createdb test

table NAME with fields id and name
contains:
1, Anton
2, Ärger
3, Otto
4, Öczalan
5, Zwitter

If I do a
select * from NAME order by name;
I get the following output:

1, Anton
3, Otto
5, Zwitter
2, Ärger
4, Öczalan

which is not the right order (it should look like above).

When I can the encoding in psql to LATIN1 I still get the same wrong result.

My LC_ALL and my LC_COLLATE are both set to de_DE.

What did I do wrong here???

Cheers
Rainer