Re: [HACKERS] New partitioning - some feedback

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: [HACKERS] New partitioning - some feedback
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017/07/12 13:09, Amit Langote wrote:
> On 2017/07/12 12:47, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
>> Do you see that those patches can be used in current discussion in any way?
>
> It wouldn't really be a bad idea to put that patch here, because there's
> no special reason for it to be in the CF for PG 11, if we are talking here
> about changing \d command outputs anyway.

So, here are 4 patches (including the 2 patches that Ashutosh linked to
upthread):

0001: Show relispartition=true relations as "(foreign) partition" and
      RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE relations that are not themselves
      partitions as "partitioned table"

0002: Hide relispartition=true relations (partitions) by default in the
      \d listing (that is, \d without a name pattern); to enable
      displaying partitions, add a modifier '++'

0003: In \d+ partitioned_table output (describe partitioned table showing
      individual partitions), show if the individual partitions are
      partitioned themselves if it actually does have partitions
      currently

0004: In \d+ partitioned_table output, do not skip the portion of the
      output showing information about partitions if there are currently
      no partitions defined; instead show "Number of partitions: 0"

Regarding 0001, while it shows "partition" and "partitioned table" in the
Type column of \d listing, \d name_pattern will still show Table
"schemaname.tablename".  For example:

\d
             List of relations
 Schema | Name  |       Type        | Owner
--------+-------+-------------------+-------
 public | xyz   | partitioned table | amit
 public | xyz1  | partition         | amit
 public | xyz2  | partition         | amit
 public | xyz3  | partition         | amit
 public | xyz31 | partition         | amit
(5 rows)

\d xyz*
                Table "public.xyz"
 Column |  Type   | Collation | Nullable | Default
--------+---------+-----------+----------+---------
 a      | integer |           |          |
Partition key: LIST (a)
Number of partitions: 3 (Use \d+ to list them.)

                Table "public.xyz1"
<snip>
                Table "public.xyz2"
<snip>
                Table "public.xyz3"
<snip>
                Table "public.xyz31"
<snip>

...which might seem kind of odd.  Do we want to show xyz1 as "Partition
public.xyz1", for example?

Thanks,
Amit