Re: BUG #2576: tcp_keepalive doesn't work

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #2576: tcp_keepalive doesn't work
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Fujii Masao <fujii.masao@oss.ntt.co.jp> writes:
> Linux-Kernel Archive: Re: 2.6.12.5 bug? per-socket TCP keepalive settings
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0508.2/0757.html

> I'm confused whether tcp_keepalive problem should be solved
> at the DB level.

According to that, Linux keepalive starts working once you have either
sent or received at least one byte over the connection.  Therefore it's
not possible to get past the authentication stage without keepalive
being ready to go.  And we do have a pretty short timeout on the auth
stage (1 minute if memory serves).  So I'm not seeing what problem we
need to solve.

In any case, if you don't like that behavior methinks you need to be
lobbying some kernel hackers, not database weenies.  Postgres is not
in the business of second-guessing the TCP stack.