Migrating database (7.1.3 - 7.2.1)

От Johnson, Shaunn
Тема Migrating database (7.1.3 - 7.2.1)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Howdy:

 Running PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on RedHat Linux 2.4.7-10.

I'm gearing up to build a new database with PostgreSQL
7.2.1 on the same OS / platform.  As I am running low on
disk space, I'm interested  hearing some tips / tricks when
migrating to a new version.

My initial plan is this:

* Stop the database
* pg_dump the entire database
* Build new version of PostgreSQL, but point it to a new location
--( I think all I have to do is move the pgsql directory to pgsql_old ? )
* create testdb
* pg_restore old db to new db

One question is, how do I determine the difference
between the old version and the new version when
I do a pg_restore? Or, is this even an issue?  Doesn't
seem like it should care when I create the new version ...

Is there another way to upgrade the current version?
(Currently, I'm looking at the documentation on how to
build the database from scratch, but haven't seen anything
on how to just upgrade the current version).

Thanks in advance!

-X