Re: conference slides in wiki

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: conference slides in wiki
Дата
Список pgsql-www
> On Apr 28, 2016, at 12:10 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> Hi Alvaro,
>>
>>> On Apr 27, 2016, at 11:28 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> I think this was ill-conceived.
>>
>> I take slight exception to this as I did research the upload solutions
>> prior:  I looked at the list of conferences with uploads
>> (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Related_Slides_and_Presentations
>> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Related_Slides_and_Presentations>)
>> and it appeared that each conference was still following suit with
>> uploading the talks here, even after the "cool-off” period was added.
>
> I wasn't trying to be offensive to you personally, apologies if it came
> across that way.  This conference is the first one where we found
> ourselves flooded with editor privs requests.

Not a problem - I was not offended, hence a “slight” exception, but I do want the group to understand that I did
considerthe various options :-) There is a lot of post-conference work that organizers have to do and the more we are
ableto offload to the larger community the better for everyone - of course, that means we do not want to overwhelm
anyoneand I take full responsibility for the flood of requests that came in and I apologize for that.

I didn’t realize how overwhelmed pginfra would get by this and I just want to make sure we make it right.
Unfortunately,rumor has it that the spammers are still at it so we can’t let off of the current wiki permissions.

>> What I would change is I would ask people to send the talks to us and
>> someone on the PGConf US committee or a volunteer could have handled
>> the uploads (and in fact I will send a message to the list to do
>> that).  Unfortunately we get inundated with requests after the
>> conference, including making the content available, that we are doing
>> our best to triage and outsource what work we can.
>
> That's true too.
>
> Maybe we should have an application in the website that's specifically
> about uploading slides.

In the interim, I just sent an email to the PGConf US speakers list apologizing for the confusion and to email me the
URLs,slides, etc. so I can go ahead and modify the wiki.

In terms of the application, perhaps this is part of a larger effort of unifying the conference software.  For US, we
arelooking at other options for 2017 and will be syncing up with the EU group, which I know has distributed its
softwareto other conferences successfully.  With some joint-hacking, we may be able to make something that fulfills all
ofour needs ultimately maintains that central repository of content and encourages all of the other PG conferences to
usethe software.  It sounds good on paper, but I admit it is a bit dreamy at this point and requires quite a bit of
timeand a concerted effort ;-)

Thanks,

Jonathan

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: conference slides in wiki
Сообщение: Re: conference slides in wiki