Re: pb with big volumes

От Ron
Тема Re: pb with big volumes
Дата
Re: pb with big volumes
Список pgsql-general
Wouldn't IO contention make for additive timings instead of exponential?

On 8/10/23 20:41, Adam Scott wrote:
I think your concern is that 20 min + 30 min does not equal 3 hours.

It might be natural to think the contention would, at max, be 50 min x 2 (1 hr 40 min).

So what's going on?

It seems disk I/O  is a primary suspect since you hint for an iostat replacement inside of Postgres.

If it is due to disk I/O the resolution will be to add RAID 0 SSDs at best.

Consider looking at io stats on the container's persistent volumes.

What is the pipe connecting the database server to the disks?  If it's NAS, well that would explain it.

HTH,
Adam