Fwd: Restore problem from 8.4 backup to 9.0

От Adam Wizon
Тема Fwd: Restore problem from 8.4 backup to 9.0
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks for the fast reply.  I must have still been connected to the older database somehow.  I cleaned up my installation and restored the database.  No error messages this time.  I need to change the pg_hba.conf file.  I read the documentation and its supposed to be in the data directory (which is locked), but it doesn't seem to be there.  Is there an easy way to create the file in the data directory (without overriding access privileges) at this point?

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Date: September 28, 2010 9:58:10 PM EDT
To: Adam Wizon <adamwizon@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Restore problem from 8.4 backup to 9.0

Adam Wizon <adamwizon@mac.com> writes:
I installed v9.0 on my Mac Pro.  Dumped the 8.4 database using 'pg_dump -Fc -d dbname --username=xyz > backup_file_name' using the pg_dump from the 8.4 installation.  I restored the database using 'pg_restore -d dbname backup_file_name'  using the 9.0 restore and after creating a new database under 9.0.  Under version 9.0 the database looks ok, but I had a lot of the following errors (132) during the restore:
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  relation "xyz" already exists ...
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  multiple primary keys for ....
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] COPY failed: ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint ...

I tried restoring the 8.4 restore file to a new 8.4 database and there
were no errors.  It almost looks like the schema already existed when I
went to do the restore, but I was careful to create the new database in
the admin tool under the correct server.

Restoring twice is almost certainly the explanation.