Re: Hide 'Execution time' in EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Hide 'Execution time' in EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I have no great objection to making both COSTS OFF and TIMING OFF suppress
>> the "planning time" output, if that's the consensus.  I would object to
>> taking away that behavior of COSTS OFF, because of the implications for
>> back-patching EXPLAIN queries in regression tests.
>>
>> Another possibility, which would introduce less non-orthogonality into
>> the switch design, is to remove the connection to COSTS OFF but say that
>> planning time is only printed when execution time is also printed (ie,
>> only in EXPLAIN ANALYZE).  This seems to me that it would not be removing
>> much functionality, because if you just did a plain EXPLAIN then you can
>> take the client-side runtime (psql \timing) as a close-enough estimate
>> of planning time.

> That'd be fine with me.  Making it controlled by COSTS and/or TIMING
> would be OK with me, too.  But let's do *something*.

After sleeping on it, the second idea seems cleaner to me: it removes one
wart rather than adding a second one.  If there are no objections, I'll
go make it so.

Сообщение: Re: Hide 'Execution time' in EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF)
Сообщение: Re: Hide 'Execution time' in EXPLAIN (COSTS OFF)