Re: update to 16.2

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: update to 16.2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 3/8/24 00:53, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We plan to update our customers on SuSE Linux from 11.4, 13.1, 14.1 and
> 15.1 to 16.2. Do I understand the release notes correct that for this
> the way is only dump/restore? The release notes say:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/release/16.2/
> .
> It does not say definitely that for all other versions a dump/restore is
> required.

In the current versioning scheme(10+) the version is X.x where X is
major version and x is minor version. Any time you move from a major to
a major version the binaries are not guaranteed to be compatible and you
will need to do a dump/restore, pg_upgrade or logical step to move to
the new version. A minor to minor upgrade within a major version in
general does not require those steps. The 'A dump/restore is not
required for those running 16.X' note is there in case there is an
instance when a dump/restore is needed in which case it would be changed
to '... is required ...' . This is the case in the development releases
of a new version(before X.0) where you usually do have to dump/restore,
etc between minor version changes. The note is there to remove any
ambiguity.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com