Re: [HACKERS] Multiple TO version in ALTER EXTENSION UPDATE

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Multiple TO version in ALTER EXTENSION UPDATE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 22 Jun 2017, at 17:02, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>>> While reading I noticed that we allow multiple TO <version> in ALTER EXTENSION
>>> UPDATE, and defer throwing a syntax error until command processing.  Is there a
>>> reason for deferring and not handling it in gram.y directly as in the attached
>>> patch since it is in fact a syntax error?  It yields a different error message
>>> to the user, but makes for easier to read code (IMH-and-biased-O).
>
>> I think the idea of the current implementation was probably that the
>> grammar should leave room to support multiple options in arbitrary
>> order at that point in the syntax.  I'm not sure whether that's
>> something we'll ever actually need, or not.
>
> It certainly seems plausible to me that we might someday grow additional
> options to control the UPDATE,

Fair enough, I was mainly curious about the reasoning, future proofing support
for additional options makes perfect sense.

> so I'm inclined to reject this patch.

I completely agree, I was using the patch to illustrate my question but wasn’t
very clear about that.

Thanks!

cheers ./daniel