Re: Speed of postgres compared to ms sql, is this

От Ian Harding
Тема Re: Speed of postgres compared to ms sql, is this
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/13/06, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 15:36, novnov wrote:
> > OK, thanks everyone, I gather from the responses that postgres performance
> > won't be an issue for me then. If MS SQL Server and Postgres are in the same
> > ballpark performance-wise, which seems to be the upshot of your comments, no
> > problem. I'd only have worried if there was something like the major
> > difference between the two with more complicated queries. I am puzzled by
> > the commentor's post to the article, it could be FUD of course but didn't
> > particularly sound like the commentor was anti pgsql.
>
> I will say this. Most other databases are more forgiving of bad
> queries.  Make a bad query and postgresql is more likely to punish you
> for it.

Amen.  When I migrated from MSSQL to PostgreSQL (4 years ago), I found
out exactly how seriously MS SQL coddles you when it comes to its "Oh,
I know what you really meant" query planning.  I committed some sins
MS SQL covered up nicely and PostgreSQL flat out crawled when
presented to it.

However, I suspect that if I tried those bad queries with a current
version of PostgreSQL they would run much better, given all the work
that has been put  in over the last few years.

- Ian