Re: Big 7.1 open items

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Big 7.1 open items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> writes:
> I strongly object to keep tablespace OID for smgr file reference token
> though we have to keep it for another purpose of cource. I've mentioned
> many times tablespace(where to store) info should be distinguished from
> *where it is stored* info.

Sure.  But this proposal assumes that we're relying on symlinks to
carry the information about physical locations corresponding to
tablespace OIDs.  The backend just needs to know enough to access a
relation file at a relative pathname liketablespaceOID/relationOID
(ignoring version and segment numbers for now).  Under the hood,
a symlink for tablespaceOID gets the work done.

Certainly this is not a perfect mechanism.  But it is simple, it
is reliable, it is portable to most of the platforms we care about
(yeah, I know we have a Win port, but you wouldn't ever recommend
someone to run a *serious* database on it would you?), and in general
I think the bang-for-the-buck ratio is enormous.  I do not want to
have to deal with explicit tablespace bookkeeping in the backend,
but that seems like what we'd have to do in order to improve on
symlinks.