Re: Keepalive for max_standby_delay

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Keepalive for max_standby_delay
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 12:47 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> But in any case the current behavior is
>> still quite broken as regards reading stale timestamps from WAL.

> Agreed. That wasn't the objective of this patch or a priority.

> If you're reading from an archive, you need to set max_standby_delay
> appropriately, current recommendation is -1.

That's not a fix; the problem is that there *is no* appropriate setting
for max_standby_delay when you're reading from archive.  It is unlikely
that the values of the timestamps you're reading should be considered to
have any bearing on what grace period to allow; but nonetheless it's
desirable to be able to have a non-infinite grace time.

Basically what I think is that we want what you called "apply" semantics
always for reading from archive (and I still think the DBA should be
able to set that grace period separately from the one that applies in
SR operation).  Paying attention to the master's timestamps is only
reasonable in the SR context.

And yes, I want the dependency on WAL timestamps to be gone completely,
not just mostly.  I think that driving the delay logic off of SR receipt
time (and/or the timestamp we agreed to add to the SR protocol) is the
appropriate and sufficient way to deal with the problem.  Looking at the
embedded timestamps just confuses the feedback loop behavior.