Re: PG case sensitivity

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PG case sensitivity
Дата
Re: PG case sensitivity
Список pgsql-general
Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> writes:
> ... There's been talk about supporting a
> mode which case folds the other direction. In general, however, mixing
> quoted and unquoted names is dangerous in all complient databases, because
> in none would "Bla" and bla or BLA be the same name.

We have looked at this before and keep coming up with the conclusion
that (a) on-the-fly changes in the backend behavior are impractical;
and (b) if we only get to have one behavior, the current one is the best
compromise we are going to get.

I wonder though whether we could offer some tweaking on client side.
For instance consider the JDBC driver's getMetaData operations.
You could imagine a JDBC driver mode that would smash all returned
identifiers to upper case.  For an application that was willing to
promise it would never explicitly quote identifiers in the SQL it
generates, this would not break anything AFAICS; and it would satisfy
app code that was expecting to see upper instead of lower case.