Re: Avoiding rewrite in ALTER TABLE ALTER TYPE

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Avoiding rewrite in ALTER TABLE ALTER TYPE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Dec 29, 2010, at 11:16 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I really really dislike the notion of a "verification scan": it's
> basically work that is going to be useless if it fails.

I think it has potential in cases like text to xml.  In that case it'll either work or fail, with no possibility of
requiringa do-over.  Scanning the whole table is a whole lot cheaper than rewriting it.  But I agree with your
assessmentof the "optimistic" verification scan case.

...Robert