Re: [GENERAL] Using 'WITH SELECT' Results Do Not Match 'SELECT FROM' Results Поиск
От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Using 'WITH SELECT' Results Do Not Match 'SELECT FROM' Results
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 07/02/2017 10:33 AM, Jerry Regan wrote:
> [...]
> down).
>
> My question:
> I have some performance test results in table cor_duration_report. One
> column, c_entered_ion is of type timestamptz, another, c_scenario, is of
> type text. I want to calculate the difference between succeeding
> c_entered_ion rows to learn the rate at which entry events occur. In
> cor_duration_report, c_entered_ion columns are NOT in ascending sort order.
>
> For a first attempt, I created another table cor_temp_gap as:
>
>     CREATE TABLE cor_temp_gap
>     (
>        c_id serial NOT NULL,
>        c_entered_ion timestamp with time zone NOT NULL,
>        c_scenario text NOT NULL
>     )
>     WITH (
>        OIDS=FALSE
>     );
>
> and loaded it with:
>
>     INSERT into cor_temp_gap (c_entered_ion, c_scenario) SELECT
>     c_entered_ion, c_scenario from cor_duration_report order by
>     c_entered_ion;
>
> The c_id column is loaded with the default value - the next sequence value.
>
> I then generated my report with:
>
>     select count( gap ) as gaps, sum(gap) as sum,
>             mode() within group (order by gap) as mode,
>             percentile_disc(0.5) within group (order by gap) as  median,
>             avg( gap::integer ) as mean,
>             min( gap ) as min,
>             max( gap ) as max
>     from ( select extract( epoch from ( f.c_entered_ion -
>     s.c_entered_ion)::interval) * 1000 as gap
>             from cor_temp_gap s, cor_temp_gap f
>             where s.c_scenario = '20170628tc04'
>             and s.c_id+1 = f.c_id ) vals;
>

> This seems to give me the results I want:
>
>       gaps     |   sum      | mode    | median |         mean
>                  | min |  max
>     ------+---------+------+--------+-----------------------+-----+--------
>       307412 | 6872207 |    1       |      8      | 22.3550381897908995
>         |   0 | 10846
>

> The min value of zero is accurate. The mode value of 1 is reasonable, as
> is the median value of 8. Using a totally different method, the mean
> value is accurate, as is gaps (there are 307,413 rows in the table).
>
> I do know enough sql to believe my cor_temp_gap table could probably be
> replace by a ‘WITH SELECT….’
>
> I attempted this:
>
>     with cor_entry_time as ( select nextval('cor_temp_select_c_id_seq')
>     as c_id, c_entered_ion, c_scenario
>     from cor_duration_report where c_scenario = '20170628tc04' order by
>     c_entered_ion )
>     select count( gap ) as gaps,
>             sum(gap::integer) as sum,
>             mode() within group (order by gap) as mode,
>             percentile_disc(0.5) within group (order by gap) as  median,
>             avg( gap::integer ) as mean,
>             min( gap::integer ) as min,
>             max( gap::integer ) as max
>     from ( select extract( epoch from ( f.c_entered_ion -
>     s.c_entered_ion)::interval) * 1000 as gap

I used this site to reformat the above:

http://sqlformat.darold.net/

[...]

Still have not figured out everything that is going on above, but it
gave me a fighting chance:)

> which returned:
>
>        gaps    |   sum      | mode | median |        mean
>              |   min       |  max
>     --------+---------+------+--------+---------------------+----------+-------
>       307412 | 6867802 |    0     |    461   | 22.3407088857949592   |
>     -6871881 | 59791
>
> The results should match but obviously they don’t. the ‘mode’, ‘median’,
> ‘min’ and ‘max’ columns are clearly different. The ‘sum’ and ‘mean’
> columns are similar but are also different. Only ‘gaps’ is the same.
> There should be no negative numbers at all, assuming my c_entered_ion
> column is in ascending order. Wouldn’t the 'order by c_entered_ion’ in
> the ‘WITH’ select do that?

I believe you are going to have to move the ORDER BY to outside the
WITH. If I am following correctly:

FROM (
     SELECT
         extract(EPOCH
         FROM (f.c_entered_ion - s.c_entered_ion)::interval) * 1000 AS gap
FROM
     cor_entry_time s,
     cor_entry_time f
WHERE