Re: Maximum size of database

От Gregory S. Williamson
Тема Re: Maximum size of database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Roopa,

I think that by defintion a "SELECT * FROM <sometable>;" will always take longer as the table increases in size (but if
anyonewho is more versed in theory of searches, sorts, etc. contradicts me I'll happily listen!). Note that the
databasecould increase enormously with no direct effect on speed; but if one necessary table keeps growing in size that
willeffect speed.

Possible solutions are limited, since such a query *has* to check every row to see if it is live and retrieve the data.

Might be helped by:
 (a) reducing the core table to a minimum of columns, with esp. large ones placed in an another table where you will
onlyget them when you need them -- reduces total amount of data being moved, but may be minimal if you still have lots
ofdata [but if can reduce each row from say 1k bytes to 200 bytes, as long as you don't always need the data in the new
table,you gain some in efficiency]. Heavily dependant on use of the data and the time you have to de-normalize the
table.

 (b) more RAM -- if everything is in RAM and the server does not have to hit disk it's faster, but is obviously limited
by$ and capacity. Our runtime servers have 4 gigs each and I'm worried about needing 8 sooner rather than later (we
havelots of connections as well as lots of data).

 (c) faster/different disks -- RAIDED with battery backed cache as others have suggested. We have had poor experience
withsome Dell disks (I don't recall which off hand) as database servers -- I've seen similar posts by other users,
probablyin the performance list archives.

 (d) migrate to *nix (yeah, I know, probably not possible, but Windows has issues, and the postgres port is relatively
neweron that platform) -- untested assumption which may warrant a flame, but I think in general the *Nix OS versions
mayhave better disk I/O.

Greg W.