Re: Storing images in PostgreSQL databases (again)

От Gregory S. Williamson
Тема Re: Storing images in PostgreSQL databases (again)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
FWIW, the company I work for stores its terrabytes of imagery on disk, using a database to track them (spatial
coordinates,metadata, location, etc.); I have worked on projects in which we stored images in a database (blobs in
Informix)and it worked fine. Both approaches can have their merits.

Personally, I'd do thumbnails on intake and handle them on their own, either on disk on in the db. But I have
preferencefor a preprocessing data so runtime response is maximized.

Assuming you don't have access to a blade/suite of functions that allow you to use the image in the database as a
usefuldata type (Informix at least used ot have a blade that did this), you can still use informtation about the image
asa primary key, to wit, a sufficiently large hash (MD5 for instance). Of course, there's time to create the hash which
mightbe an issue in a high volume system. Extending a hash with some other data (date ?) can considerably decrease the
chanceof collisions. It's still a longish key, but workable I suspect (untested, we used an artificial key, a serial).

$0.02 worth ...

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC