Re: apparent wraparound

От Gregory S. Williamson
Тема Re: apparent wraparound
Дата
Re: apparent wraparound  (Reece Hart <reece@harts.net>)
Список pgsql-general
Reece --

The "number of slots needed exceeds" messages are telling you that the current FSM (Free Space Map) does not have
enoughspace allocated to track all of the old tuples that are to be reused. I suspect that having such a situation
wouldeffect the wraparound issue, since you'd have "dead wood" which hasn't been recycled.

You need to edit the postgresql.conf file and increase the max_fsm_pages and max_fsm_relations parameters and then
restartpostgres (I think you have to actually stop and restart, as opposed to a reload, but I could be wrong). You may
endup needing to adjust the total amount of RAM allocated to Shared Memory to allow for as large an FSM as you'll need.
Thatrequires a system reboot.

HTH,

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC

-----Original Message-----
From:    pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org on behalf of Reece Hart
Sent:    Fri 7/14/2006 12:30 PM
To:    pgsql-general
Subject:    Re: [GENERAL] apparent wraparound

Tom Lane wrote:
> I'd ask you the same question I asked Thomas: do you continue to get those log messages
> during subsequent checkpoints?

No, I don't.  The error did not reappear during ~2h of continuous
inserts since my report, didn't reappear after a forced checkpoint
(i.e., via psql), and did not reappear on a recent stop/start cycle.

There was a period when my cron-driven vacuuming was broken and, in
principle, I might have been susceptible to wraparound.  However, I
don't see how we could have had 1B transactions in that period.

One other tidbit: a colleague inadvertently updated ~10M records.  After
this, I started getting errors like:
number of page slots needed (2952496) exceeds max_fsm_pages (500000)
I restored from a backup, but still have:
'number of page slots needed (183248) exceeds max_fsm_pages (50000)'
(I reduced max_fsm_pages after the restore.)

I'm not sure whether the vacuum and fsm info is relevant.

-Reece

--
Reece Hart, http://harts.net/reece/, GPG:0x25EC91A0