Re: Git revision in tarballs

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Git revision in tarballs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
> On 21 Jul 2021, at 20:25, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> On 15.07.21 10:33, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> I think it'd be useful to be able to identify exactly which git commit
>>> was used to produce a tarball.

>> Or we could do what git-archive does:
>> Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended
>> pax header if the tar format is used; it can be extracted using git
>> get-tar-commit-id. In ZIP files it is stored as
>> a file comment.

> That does adds Git as a dependency for consuming the tarball though, which
> might not be a problem but it's a change from what we require today.

It also requires keeping the tarball itself around, which you might not
have done, or you might not remember which directory you extracted which
tarball into.  So on the whole that solution seems strictly worse.

FYI, the "put it into .gitrevision" solution is already implemented
in the new tarball-building script that Magnus and I have been
working on off-list.