Re: [GENERAL] Anyone using "POSIX" time zone offset capability?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Anyone using "POSIX" time zone offset capability?
Дата
Re: [GENERAL] Anyone using "POSIX" time zone offset capability?  (James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
"Brandon Aiken" <BAiken@winemantech.com> writes:
> What about time zones like Tehran (GMT+3:30), Kabul (GMT+4:30), Katmandu
> (GMT+5:45) and other non-cardinal-hour GMT offsets?  Is this handled in
> some *documented* way already?

Sure.  This has worked since PG 7.2 or so:

regression=# select '12:34:00 IRT'::timetz;
     timetz
----------------
 12:34:00+03:30
(1 row)

Also you can just do

regression=# select '12:34:00 +03:30'::timetz;
     timetz
 12:34:00+03:30
(1 row)

regression=#

The weird thing about this allegedly-POSIX notation is the combination
of a symbolic name and a further offset from it.  Back when we didn't
have customizable timezone abbreviations, maybe there would be some
point in making that work, but I don't see the point now.  I'm not
entirely convinced that it really is a POSIX-sanctioned notation,
either --- the POSIX syntax the zic code knows about is different.