Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem

От: Tom Lane
Тема: Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Peter Hussey, )
 Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Andres Freund, )
 Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Alvaro Herrera, )
   Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Jayadevan M, )
 Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Peter Hussey, )
   Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Robert Haas, )
   Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Hannu Krosing, )
    Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Robert Haas, )
     Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Hannu Krosing, )
      Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Tom Lane, )
       Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Hannu Krosing, )
        Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Hannu Krosing, )
         Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Greg Smith, )
          Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Greg Smith, )
          Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  ("Kevin Grittner", )
           Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Greg Smith, )
            Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  ("Kevin Grittner", )
          Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Hannu Krosing, )
         Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Tom Lane, )
         Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Hannu Krosing, )
          Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  ("Kevin Grittner", )
         Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Hannu Krosing, )
       Re: Questions on query planner, join types, and work_mem  (Bruce Momjian, )

Peter Hussey <> writes:
> My questions are still
> 1)  Does the planner have any component of cost calculations based on the
> size of work_mem,

Sure.

> and if so why do those calculations  seem to have so
> little effect here?

Since you haven't provided sufficient information to let someone else
reproduce what you're seeing, it's pretty hard to say.  It might have
something to do with the particularly wide join key values you're using,
but that's mere speculation based on the one tidbit you provided.  There
might be some other effect altogether that's making it do the wrong thing.

> 2) Why is the setting of work_mem something left to the admin and/or
> developer?

Because we're not smart enough to find a way to avoid that.