Temp Table Within PLPGSQL Function - Something Awry

От Lenorovitz, Joel
Тема Temp Table Within PLPGSQL Function - Something Awry
Дата
Re: Temp Table Within PLPGSQL Function - Something Awry  (Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca>)
Re: Temp Table Within PLPGSQL Function - Something Awry  ("Chad Wagner" <chad.wagner@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general

Greetings,

I am trying to work with a TEMP TABLE within a plpgsql function and I was wondering if anyone can explain why the function below, which is fine syntactically, will work as expected the first time it is called, but will err out as shown on subsequent calls.  The DROP TABLE line seems to be executing (note \d results on temp_tbl), and repeatedly adding/dropping/querying temp_tbl from the command line also works without a problem.  However, when it's all put into the function and cycled through multiple times then something seems to be getting confused.  Any light that can be shed on this peculiarity would be great.  Once I get past this hurdle the function will, of course, go on to do more and make better use of the temp table, but for now I just need to figure out why it's failing.  Is this an improper or ill-advised use of a temp table?

Thanks much,
Joel

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_fxn() RETURNS SETOF RECORD AS $$
DECLARE
   test_rec RECORD;
BEGIN
   CREATE TEMP TABLE temp_tbl (actual_inventory_id BIGINT, cal_due TIMESTAMP);
   FOR test_rec IN SELECT id FROM item LOOP
      INSERT INTO temp_tbl (actual_inventory_id) values (6);
   END LOOP;
   FOR test_rec IN SELECT actual_inventory_id FROM temp_tbl LOOP
      RETURN NEXT test_rec;
   END LOOP;
   DROP TABLE temp_tbl;
   RETURN;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE PLPGSQL;

postgres=# select max(id) from test_fxn() AS (id bigint);
 max
-----
   6
(1 row)

postgres=# select max(id) from test_fxn() AS (id bigint);
ERROR:  relation with OID 24449 does not exist
CONTEXT:  SQL statement "INSERT INTO temp_tbl (actual_inventory_id) values (6)"
PL/pgSQL function "test_fxn" line 6 at SQL statement

postgres=# \d temp_tbl;
Did not find any relation named "temp_tbl".
postgres=#