Re: Migration Wizard - Access 97 Autonumber

От D Tim Cummings
Тема Re: Migration Wizard - Access 97 Autonumber
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Thanks Dave,

I understand that numeric is a safer option than float8 for Currency
fields, but in the type map editor I can't set the precision and scale.  If I use numeric without setting precision and
scale,Access 97 sees

the field as "text" which is definitely not what I want.  If I could
set it to say numeric(15,4) then Access 97 would be much happier, and
report the field as being double.  As it is I will go with float8 and
live with the rounding problems.

I downloaded version 1.5.60 of pgAdmin II and the migration wizard but
they wouldn't run.  So I went to www.microsoft.com/data to get the
latest "MDAC".  This was more difficult than I thought, because their
news items talked about MDAC 2.8 but their downloads had a whole bunch
of different versions, in no particular order, some as SDKs, none of
which were 2.8.  I went with MDAC 2.7 SP1 Refresh, whatever "Refresh"
means.  Anyway I am pleased to report that after installing MDAC 2.7
SP1 Refresh, pgAdmin II v 1.5.60 and the Migration Wizard worked like a
treat and correctly mapped my Access 97 Autonumber fields to int4 data
types in PostgreSQL.

The only other gotcha I found with the software was not to leave log
level on full debug or it slowed everything down to a crawl.  Apart
from that it has worked like a charm.

Tim Cummings

On Sunday, Jul 13, 2003, at 18:52 Australia/Brisbane, Dave Page wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> It's rumoured that D Tim Cummings once said:
>> I am trying to migrate an Access 97 database to PostgreSQL 7.3 using
>> pgAdmin 1.4.12 and the Migration Wizard 1.4.12.  I want to keep using
>> the Access 97 front end connected to the PostgreSQL backend.
>>
>> The default type mapping didn't work for me but I discovered that
>> mapping
>>   Boolean -> int2 (instead of bool) and
>>   Currency -> float8 (instead of money)
>> meant I needed no changes to my Access97 front end.
>
> float8 is not a good idea for monetary amounts as there may be rounding
> errors and other problems. numeric is a far safer option.
>> The problem I had was the Autonumber mapping.  By default Autonumber
>> maps to int8 which causes Access 97 to think all records in the linked
>> table are deleted.  If the PostgreSQL data type is changed to int4,
>> Access97 works fine.
>
> In the 1.5.60 version, the autonumber columns will map through the type
> map, so if they start off as a 4 byte integer, they shouold end up as
> int4
> or whatever you have mapped in it's place.
> You can download from http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin2/downloads
>
> Regards, Dave.

D Tim Cummings,             tim@triptera.com.au
Triptera Pty Ltd             ACN    073 371 918
207 Hawken Drive             ABN 67 073 371 918
St Lucia QLD 4067            Ph +61 4 1877 8422
AUSTRALIA                    Fx +61 7 5543 4493