Re: PL/perl should fail on configure, not make

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PL/perl should fail on configure, not make
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 1/10/13 4:48 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, I'm not the package maintainer for perl, so this is not an
>> authoritative answer ... but I don't believe that there's any
>> expectation that you could replace the installation with a different
>> major perl version and still have C-level dependencies work.

> Well, Debian does support that.  It is necessary to be able to upgrade
> to the next distribution release and have old packages linked against an
> older libperl keep working.  Apparently, Fedora doesn't support that.

If they wanted to install two incompatible versions at once, they'd just
stick them in different directory trees (ie, not both /usr/lib64/perl5).
Given the amount of stuff in a Perl distribution besides libperl.so
itself, I should think some such thing would be necessary regardless.

(Or, if you prefer, the thing that is binding /usr/bin/perl to its
correct library is an RPATH setting, not a soname version number.)