Re: PGPASSWORD and client tools

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PGPASSWORD and client tools
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> How about an environment variable that points to a .pgpass type file.

You can do that today: point $HOME at some temp directory or other.
AFAIR pg_dump doesn't make any other use of $HOME ...

> Or we could even play games with PGPASSWORD - if it names an existing file
> that satisfies the .pgpass criteria then it will be taken as the
> location of the .pgpass file instead of $HOME/.pgpass - otherwise its
> value will be considered to be the password itself.

Gaack... if you want a separate variable, we can talk about that, but
let's not overload PGPASSWORD like that.  Consider even just the
implications of whether libpq error messages should echo back the
"filename" ...